Originally Posted By: hikermor
Seems rather contrived and artificial....
This shows almost always seem contrived to me, which is why I don't watch them. But then I don't watch much TV in general, as I think it tends to rot one's brain. wink

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The type of trees is an issue. There appears to be very few smaller trees in the area with most of them the size of your waist and above. To cut down this size of tree and haul by hand would be very tough. The one guy who did think about building a log cabin gave up on that idea given the amount of effort involved.
This illustrates just one reason why these shows seem contrived to me. They always seem to focus on a lone individual, or at most a very small group.

The Native peoples (or "First Nations"), who inhabited the Pacific Northwest Coast for millennia before "discovery", did all sorts of things using really big logs. They built seagoing canoes, Totem Poles, houses big enough for 50 people.... But they had a well developed society, and collectively could tackle tasks like handling big logs. They most certainly weren't trying to live there as isolated individuals.