So as it turns out, the show is not quite what it is made out to be.

After reading on another website, I spent some time comparing the maps that are displayed on the TV show where the participants are located then matched them in Google Earth and also via a paper map from a BC recreational map book that I own.

Participant Sam was about a mile from a village and about 1/2 that from some seaside homes.

Participant Mitch was across the sound and slightly NE of Sam. Depending on his exact location, it is conceivable that he could of seen the smoke from Sam's fires and on a clear night, if he looked further SW, he may seen the lights from the same village that Sam was close to.

Participant Dustin was about a 1/4 mile from an active Forest Service road that leads to a provincial park.

The seemingly fan favorite, participant Alan was in an inlet 1-3/4 miles overland from the above village. This inlet is popular with boaters and kayakers and I would not be surprised that he had not been seen and visited at some point by boaters.

Admittedly 4 other participants that I placed on the maps, were camped further out but not as far as the show makes it seem they were.

Given their closeness to civilization, the saying goes "where there is people, there is garbage" it would perhaps explain the appearances of extra tarps, the frying pan, the green plastic shopping bin and so on. The rules were though, the participants could use anything they found which included debris that had floated over from the 2011 Japan earthquake and Tsunami.

I must say though, despite the above findings, give credit to the participants for sticking it out as I hope that in their quest that they kept true of their goals and rules that they had to follow. I will continue to watch the show if anything just to find out who ended up winning.

John Lubbock