Originally Posted By: Tom_L

We get to see real people with a varying degree of skills and experience trying to cope with some very unforgiving environment. It was surprising to see several guys "tap out" within just a few days. But I have enormous respect for the 4 guys who have managed to stay out there for a whole month completely on their own.

I agree on the tapping out (parlance for quitting for those who have not watched the series.) All the participants have varingly levels of outdoors experience and I was very suprised how many of them tapped out in the first week. I think there were many factors at play such as the isolation, unfamiliar environment, weather, that all contributed to the early exits. The one participant that lost his Ferro Rod, he was utterly devastated and was easy to tell right away that he was not going to continue and I could not help but feel for him.

Also when Mitch lost his gill net, I was expecting him to tap out. Earlier in the same episode, I had seen him with the net strung across the ground on low tide and thought that it was not secured enough, especially on the bottom as the tide and currents there are strong and would not take much to pull that net away.

Originally Posted By: Tom_L

That's a pretty tough challenge in just about any environment. More so if you have to film yourself all the time and lug around camera gear. One of the guys even made an improvised canoe. So I am really excited to see how things are going to develop.

In one of the episodes, I think someone mentioned or it was an onscreen info text that said how many much filming was being done? I know that Les Stroud mentioned once that the amount of filming he had to do for each Surviorman episode was around 100 hours which then edited down to about 45 minutes for TV viewing. I would guess for this series, it would amount to somewhere around the same. However a couple of the participants such as Alan and Lucas definitely seem to have more screen time then the other 2 remaining guys.

That improvised canoe was almost genius and I would really like to know the amount of hours that went into crafting it. Same also for Alan's fish basket / trap.

As the series progresses, it is interesting to see how the remaining 4, despite setbacks, are adapting more and more to their environment.

I have a feeling who will be the last person but I will not know for certain until the last episode airs.

John Lubbock