Originally Posted By: Tom_L

IMHO the only universal resources that will work anywhere, anytime are your skills (self-explanatory), physical shape (hard to accomplish anything if your body lets you down) and social network (long-term survival has always been a group thing).

You bring up a very good point. A social network is an incredibly value resource. I have worked all sorts of disasters all over the country and overseas, and I have observed two key facts.

First, the true first responders aren't the professionals or trained and organized volunteers; they are your neighbors, friends and family. Second, those who are part of an existing cooperative social network, whether it's organized around a school, church or civic group, an extended family, good neighbors who know and help one another, or just a circle of friends in and outside of the impacted area, generally seem to fare best in the immediate aftermath of disaster. They tend to be the ones who first have someone looking for, checking up on, and helping them out very early on, and that can make a big difference.

At minimum, having a reliable person serving as a point of contact outside the affected area is a very useful resource for accounting for victims, organizing assistance, and facilitating problem-solving. If your POC has your Power of Attorney and copies of your vital documents like insurance and financial papers, so much the better.

I also completely agree with you that in a long-term situation, survival will be greatly enhanced for those in a strong, mutually cooperative social network or group.

Edited by JeffMc (08/04/15 03:04 AM)