Good points.

All the airborne crap around the WTC did number on my lungs, even though I tried to wear a respirator most of the time, despite assurances from the EPA that the air quality is not a problem. You are right, at every disaster, helos, trucks and all the activity, not to mention fires, can quickly send air to very unhealthy levels, so some N-95 masks or better are cheap and very worthwhile protection.

Having sturdy boots, appropriate clothing, work gloves and a hard hat will also be very welcome in the aftermath of a disaster. The needn't take up precious space in your kit bag; just keep them in a cheap drawstring pouch or something on the outside.

I'm not sure which tools would serve best for hasty first responder light rescue, post-disaster. But an awful lot can be accomplished with a Halligan (Hooligan) tool and a fire axe, if you know how to use them and want to invest $200+. Personally, I have a smaller and much cheaper Stanley 18" FuBar, a Channellock 88, and a spring-loaded window punch/seatbelt cutter, along with the usual tool kit, in my trunk.