i remember catching an episode of it on channel 13 (pbs in nyc) awhile ago.

i gotta admit i liked the idea, on a survival testing level.

but of course it was softened up because as everyone here has said, modern people couldnt survive that enviornment because we arent made as tough as we were.

i do recall a show in scotland,new zealand or maybe even sweden (not sure its been awhile), where the people were basically given basic essentials and HAD to build shelter, find food and survive.
it was alot more hardcore then our shows, i beleive the cast signed waivers incase of death on the show.

now that mgiht be more fun to watch, only because of the potential realism involved.

my idea would be based on the survivor concept, a group of people left on an island or some remote piece of earth.

each person is allowed a survival kit of their own making, up to a certain size/ weight limit and left to their own devices.

the rules are simple, you cannot harm, or intentionally kill the other cast members. but you CAN set harmless traps and loot their posessions if possible hehe.

i think that kind of isolation and constant defensiveness would be harder on them mentally and would definitly be more interesting to watch to see whos psychology tactics work best.