This really is turning into a good discussion. All in all though, I guess it shows a fundamental dilemma with EDC. We all know it would be great to have instant access to all sorts of gear at any time. Yet in real life our EDC is pretty much limited to what we can fit inside our pockets and maybe a bag or backpack. All the while keeping in mind what is acceptable under the social and legal norms.

Given the circumstances I would say a 22L pack is just the right size for a smaller-framed female, maybe even at the upper limit. Right now I am looking at my backpack, which I carry daily to work. It's a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack with a 24L capacity. About the largest size I would consider practical for realistic EDC in an urban environment.

My Rush 12 is just big enough for a smallish laptop, a few books and a water bottle plus a minimalist survival kit. I have taken quite some time to come up with a compact but hopefully well rounded list of things I carry with me daily, as much as I can stuff inside the front pocket without adding too much bulk (under 2lbs all in all excluding the water bottle). It includes a basic FAK, my Leatherman Wave, flashlight, a couple of lighters, a small prybar and a few other assorted gadgets.

Honestly speaking, it is still very much minimalist. If suddenly caught in an earthquake zone I would much rather have some extra gear at hand. But then, even a minimalist kit carried on your person is a lot better than nothing. What good will that nice, big GHB in your office or car trunk do if by some chance you can't get to it in the first place?

There is also a big difference between EDC items that are actually useful on a day in, day our basis, such as a pocket knife or flashlight. That is the kind of stuff that you are likely to use regularly so EDC makes sense even if (thankfully) you never find yourself in a disaster situation.

However, in the event of a major earthquake you will likely need bigger, heavier, heavy duty gear that has little to no everyday utility in an urban environment. Like a full-sized crowbar, shovel, chain saw, axe, sledgehammer etc. That kind of equipment is what really comes in handy in an earthquake zone but it is far too bulky for EDC and isn't even found in many urban homes and apartments.

IMHO the only practical solution is to come up with a compact kit small enough for actual EDC and keep a larger, better stocked GHB in the car trunk, workplace or wherever else you spend most of the time when away from home. Also, keep in mind that many public buildings will have rescue tools of some sort placed somewhere strategically (or not) as part of contingency planning. At my workplace we keep a pretty good rescue kit with a fireaxe, pickaxe, heavy crowbar etc. Unfortunately, the last time I checked it was locked up in the basement, so not quite within immediate reach. But it is something well worth checking out, I'm sure a hospital would have similar equipment stashed somewhere.