Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I'm open to suggestions as to what I can do to improve the s/n ratio.

chaosmagnet

In response to your request, I would like to say that you don't need to do anything (even though I said I am not interested).

The thread "Save a Life", which prompted this thread, is the most useful thread that I have ever seen on this site. I'll tell you why. There is one post in there by a guy who has posted only 55 times since 2008. The thread prompted him to share the fact that he had to shoot and kill a home invader. He's disabled and uses a wheel chair.

I have since introduced myself to this user in a private message and have become a sort of Internet friend. He has shared more information that has been extremely useful. If I could take just one nugget from this site over the years I've been here, then it would be the interaction with that one user.

By the way, in all my years of living, I have found the biggest gold nuggets of information come from natural conversations with people. If moderators were to meddle with the natural flow of conversation, then I highly doubt this site would get the type of gold nuggets that I described above.

The simple solution is to have users ignore threads in which they have no interest. Such a solution reduces your workload, keeps your site rich with gold nuggets, and encourages members to develop another survival skill. Yes, learning how to filter noise is an important survival skill. cool