I participated in the thread at question; I don't think my post stepped over the lines, but if it did, I apologize.

I value different points of view on topics. I have found my preconceptions challenged by people who have had different experiences in different situations---different from my own, which challenge the conclusions I have drawn from my own experiences, and in several cases, caused me to change my preps.

So, for me, it is not just about the equipment, but when and how what is needed and how to use it, or avoid the situation entirely.

Facts and experiences, our own and that of others, are building blocks we need. Opinions, are just that: to be treated as information, but not evidence. I always try to remember "I could be wrong." So can the poster's opinion.

This forum has a tremendous base of real world experiences and expertise to share, and points of view about those experiences. I do not consider respectful, even sometimes heated, discussion of those experiences and points of view "noise." They do, often, need some thinking about. Unsubstantiated opinions, not so much.

For example, most recently, I learned a lot about Ebola in this forum that I never heard in the news. We had several members who were quite well informed on the subject, and I, for one, learned and appreciated their factual (and fact based opinion) input.

I hope we all can take a deep breath and focus on exchanging facts, information and yes, fact based opinions based on our experiences that can help other members be prepared for eventualities that we hope they never have to endure.

Mere discussions of piece of equipment "A" is better for survival then "B," without a full exploration of the context of its purpose, use, and alternatives, including opinions on these topics, is really not useful to me. Wading through all of those details and discussion can sometimes seem like "noise," but often that is how I learn to make my own trade-offs and judgments.