My previous post was dedicated to gear, I'll try to answer the other questions.

Quote:
what knowledge, skills or techniques should I acquire

I grew up in a very bad neighborhood of a major city. I have learned both experientially and later through study what to look for in terms of urban danger. I have defused any number of situations by early detection and evasion, and when appropriate by making potential assailants aware that I was aware of their intentions. Most assailants are looking for unaware victims, if you're aware and ready to run or fight you're more likely to escape unscathed.

Situational awareness is in my opinion the most important of urban survival skills.

You should also be ready to walk long distances, ride a bicycle, use public transit, use taxis or private vehicles, navigate, blend in, stand out, know where to go and know where not to go, as the situation demands.

I cannot stress how important a good pair of walking shoes can be. It's also critical to have outerwear appropriate for the weather, not just for whatever vehicle you plan to travel in.

Quote:
and what should my strategy or thinking include beyond the basics or obvious things; in the event of urban emergencies like widespread civil unrest or power outages, or any other advice you'd care to offer for when I am in an unfamiliar major city?

Cash. Carry cash and be ready to use it.

I tend to have four "bailout" plans if things in the city go sour. Plan A is to get in my car or rental and drive away. Cash can really help here, as if you're parked in a lot where the credit card readers go down, you could get stuck before you begin. I never park in the city without at least half a tank of gas. Plan B is to take a taxi, Uber, or (if all else fails) public transit to get out of Dodge. Plan C is to buy or rent a bicycle and ride away; I look up bike shops near where I plan to be. Plan D is to hoof it. I'm in good shape and have good shoes for walking, I could make 10-20 miles in a day depending on conditions.

If the smart move is to stay in town, cash might be able to get you a hotel room and/or a hot meal.