Originally Posted By: Wheels
Haven't posted for quite a while but I saw this and ...

I use a wheelchair (5'0" 115lbs). Six months ago a 6'4" guy broke into my house. He told me he was going to beat my effing head in. I shot and killed him. The police were already looking for him. They, the police, were on the way but I didn't know that. I feel fortunate to live in a country where I am able to defend myself and my wife. Without a weapon there would not have been much I could have done. I know this is mostly a knife rights thread and I certainly do not mean to hijack it. Just my 2 cents.

You just mentioned the one of the two 900 lb primates that are valid arguments against no-weapons legislature. A gun, knife, cane, mace, Taser, etc. allows the weak to mount an effective defense against the strong.

Originally Posted By: Tjin

From a european perspective, prevention is better then reaction. We invest more in target hardening (proper doors, locks, windows, fences). Last time I was in the US, I was rather not impressed by the exterieur doors and windows. My closet has a more impressive lock then they front door locks i have seen. My doors has 3 locks, extra pins on the hinged side and a anti-prybar bar.

Better to have a frustated thief on the outside and me having a good night sleep, then hoping you can shoot quicker then the bad guy.

A firearm is a last resort solution. From a security point of view, you need layers, that make it hard for the bad guy. Preferably a passive system, that doesn't require a person to do something. A firearm requires a awake and aware person near it to be usefull.

What you're esposing is the standard home protection setup. I have a similar setup to the ones you described at home. You're not getting in without alerting half the neighborhood.

If somebody wants in while I'm home, it's not going to be a matter of when they give up and go away. But, a matter of if they get in before the cops get there (typical response time in my area is 10 minutes). Anyody brazen enough to break into an occupied house is either completely off their rocker, and/or prepared for violence. That's where weapons comes in. 15 or 20 years ago I would have been a formidable opponent. Now the only thing deadly about me is if I were to sit on you.

Edited by Mark_R (06/25/15 09:57 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane