Depends on how and where you plan to use them. We have the Motrola models with the orange trim. Tried using them at Disney last spring. Every channel was jammed with people just yakking. <br><br>The kids like to play with them but otherwise I find that the background noise in places where I would use them is so loud I seldom hear the alert tone unless I wear it at my collar.<br><br>Ours stay in the drawer at home and we never use them. Our kids are 5 & 8 so we do not let them wander too far out of sight. Maybe when they get in the early teens, I would feel comfortable allowing them to wander and explore more on their own at festivals, etc. They might be more handy then. <br><br>Growing up we just all agreed to meet at a certain location at a certain time and had few problems. We also have a "family whistle" that we use. If we get seperated, we just whistle. The other party returns the whistle and you move towards the whistle. Works well in stores when you get seperated and you never run out of batteries or have the volume turned down too low.