Originally Posted By: adam2
I suspect that supplying drinking water to those affected would be well within the capabilities of the civil or military authorities.

A tanker truck holds at least 25,000 litres of water, 100 such trucks each making 10 trips a day can supply 25 million litres a day. In an emergency, such tankers can be hired or requisitioned from dairies, breweries and other industries handling potable liquids in bulk.

Wide bore flexible hose as used by fire fighters can transport a lot of water. A single line of hose with a pump every half mile can transport 10,000 litres an hour, enough for tens of thousands of people.

Providing enough water for firefighting would be more challenging, though the many swimming pools would help.

With respect, my opinion is somewhat different. We MAY be able to supply the water people need, but I suspect that it will severely strain the capacity of available civil and military resources.

There are two major components of the problem. First is making or accessing potable water supplies. Existing civilian water plants in the affected area may be offline for some time, along with their normal distribution grid. Trucked in water will have to come from further away than just outside the affected area, since SoCal is surrounded by a lot of desert. Trucking in all that water will require passable roadways, intact overpasses, etc.

In this case, a saving grace may be that SoCal is rather near the coast. Some USN vessels can make, pump or deliver a lot of water, and commercial ships can also deliver a lot, although offloading may be a problem.

The second major component of the problem will be distribution of water to each and every neighborhood that needs it. Again, roads may be a problem. Also, I expect that Fire Department resources will be tasked with higher priorities than relay pumping drinking water.

It can be accomplished, but it won't be pretty. Let's just hope it happens in a season other than high Summer.