Sure, much agreed. I just cannot help but wonder sometimes how living the modern civilized lifestyle has made us so much more reliant, even dependent on gear that not long ago simply did not exist or wasn't needed.

I often talked with my grandmother about how things were back in the old days when she was just a kid growing up on a farm. It was a tough life, most males were involved in logging and everyone was expected to do their share of work.

Usually that would mean going up the hills on foot along any convenient trail or track, maybe a couple of hours or so starting very early in the morning, taking nothing more than their tools (axes, billhooks, two-man saws) to travel light. No water - they would find it in the woods because they knew where to look. Even though surface water is not easy to come by over there and springs often run dry in summer.

They would work all morning, then the girls would bring them lunch (on foot again). They would take a little rest and keep working until the evening when it was time to get back. Horses and wagons were brought along only when transporting the logs down into the valley. Most other days they were needed elsewhere around the farm.

It was all a pretty casual everyday thing. But in reality, it meant trekking up some fairly nasty, steep hills through dense woodland where it's very easy to get lost. In addition, it happens to be pretty tough bear country plus lots of snakes. Much of the work was done in the colder months, so a little snow on the ground didn't really bother anyone.

Even the younger boys had to pull their weight. They would often be sent to work on their own. Once when my grandmother's two cousins in their early teens went out to do the daily routine one of them accidentally cut himself on the foot pretty badly with an axe. His brother helped him get back home, which would be considered a serious survival ordeal these days. When dad found about it, he first gave the poor kid a real scolding before proceeding to bandage his foot. Which I guess goes to show how things worked.

Anyway, I suppose it was tough but it went on pretty much day in, day out and nobody seemed to think it was that much of a stress. And most of the time, people survived and did their work just fine without backpacks full of goodies, whistles and PLBs. But then, they felt familiar with the environment and had plenty of skills (maybe even common sense) that are often found lacking today.

I often think about that when I go hiking in those woods. Always bringing a backpack, map & compass, plenty of expensive survival gear, goretex and a sound 'tactical' plan to boot.

No doubt back in the early 20th century folks would find that at least a little funny! smile