I am a stark, raving traditionalist, I suppose, but I still prefer to employ a paper map,typically a topo of 1:24000 scale or so, supplemented by a GPS. Navigating by terrain features, i will very rarely pull out my compass, usually in conditions of reduced visibility. The nice thing about maps is that they do not require batteries.

I don't expect my cellphone to work; if it does, that is a questionable bonus. I go to wild places as a change from the urban rat race, not to tweet about the neat experiences I am having.

This tale is very reminiscent of a trip I took many decades ago, also on snowshoes in deep snow, involving an unplanned winter bivouac. The key to my survival was a small gas stove, tucked into my pocket at the last minute, which allowed me to melt snow and brew tea intermittently during a long,cold night. I was surprised at how much energy I had in the morning, although I dozed only fitfully.

Although I routinely carry a stove, multiple means of building a wood fire are always with me, as well as a bivvy sack and at the very least, a shell parka. I will always carry a knife, but I have always been able to gather enough firewood with my bare hands to keep a fire going as long as necessary. If I build anything, it should include a reflector of some sort; otherwise one part of your body is roasting while the other is freezing.

The emphasis on batoning and "processing" timber products always puzzles me. If conditions or the forecast is stormy, a stove and fuel is placed in the pack, absolutely. Once I have started a fire, I have always been able to dry wood and keep it going - at least in western coniferous forests.

The great thing about this account is the after action analysis; this guy will survive, doing much better the next time.