Originally Posted By: Eugene
How long though will it take to pack boxes? If you can plan ahead a little now you can save time packing.
Important documents/papers for example, rather than pulling them out of a file cabinet or such I put them all in a zippered binder so its quick and easy to grab. It even has a pocket that my backup drives fit in so I don't have to pack and carry those separately, I just made it my normal procedure to store there when not running a backup.

I have checklists for packings. Each list includes items/tasks sorted by person responsible, priority, beneficiary (son's diapers does not benefit the cat), and location of item or task. Ideally, I'd say 45 minutes from alert to full houehold evac, but it's more like an 90-120 minutes.

Copies of important documents, computer backup, and disaster related documents (i.e. pet friendly hotels, evacuation shelter locations, maps, etc.) are already prepacked in a waterproof bag.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane