So far, knock on wood, I've never had a Kirkland alkaline leak. That is not the case for either Duracell or Energizer. Still, I only use alkalines as a last resort and do my best to remember to remove them from a device after use and strap them to the side with a rubber band or tape.

I use Eneloops and protected CW rechargeable lithiums now, as much as possible.

My wife recently trashed her 1xAAA cell Fenix flashlight with battery leakage. The battery was in there maybe a year, with very intermittent use. It really welded itself in there. I had the bright idea that I could get it out by drilling a small hole in the battery, inserting a screw, and pulling it out. Warning! Use caution and wear full protective gear if you attempt this stupid idea like I did! I filled the flashlight body with Kroil (a super penetrating oil) and let it soak overnight before clamping the flashlight in my bench vice and trying to pull on the screw with a pair of pliers. Man, was that battery stuck. I was pulling UP from the vice (a mistake!) When that screw finally yanked out, the battery was left inside the flashlight and I had a nice pliers-sized gash in my lip where they violently made contact. I still have a lump there, 6 weeks later. Do not attempt this stunt, boys and girls!