Today I stumbled across Paul Kirtley's bushcraft blog and noticed another confirmation that one shouldn't worry about sleeping in cold weather. If your body gets cold you will wake up.

Quote:
"All the photos in this article were taken in northern Sweden, well inside the Arctic Circle. I slept out in the shelter depicted in night-time temperatures that hovered between minus 20 and minus 30 degrees Celsius. This is colder than inside a domestic freezer. I did so without the aid of any sleeping equipment – no sleeping bag, bivvy bag, blanket or the like. Moreover, I was not at all concerned about freezing to death and I did get a reasonable amount of sleep...

...There is a common myth that you will not wake up if you get too cold. I can assure you that as soon as the fire dies down a little and you start to feel the chill of the night, you will be awake."

Here's another example where survivors needlessly forced themselves to stay awake for many days straight in the belief that if they went to sleep in the cold conditions, they wouldn't wake up. Their ordeal was made significantly more miserable by their mistaken thinking.