My EDC has really came in handy, well a few items anyway:

1) Swiss Army knife - boyscout huntsman version, it gets used pretty much on a daily basis, trimming threads off clothing, DS using the knife blade to sharpen a pencil or bossman using it to open packages at the office, opening a can of spaghettios for lunch with the can opener, using the screwdrivers to tighten or loosen screws, the saw blade is about the only thing on it that doesn't get used daily, but even that gets used quite often.

2) Fenix E01 - I never EDC'd a mini flashlight until recently, now I wonder how i ever got by without one, everything from lighting up a dark space under the desk to lighting up the way to the front door because we forgot (again) to turn on the outside light.

3) Duct tape - A flat roll of duct tape in my wallet always seems to come in handy, it's last use was at a merit badge fair at the local community college, taping up door latches so the boys wouldn't lock themselves out of their rooms (they were closing doors that locked automatically and couldn't get back in)

4) Bandanna - This one has been a while back, but my bandanna I always carry around in a back pocket now came in handy at a civil war reenactment when someone got too hot and nearly passed out, we needed to cool him down. Got him into some shade, doused the bandanna in water and used it as a cool compress.

5) Glucose tablets - being diabetic, I have to be careful of both high and low blood sugar episodes. The glucose tablets have come in handy a few times for the lows.