Originally Posted By: ireckon
For every plea whistle, the blog says, "Pea froze, but whistle still worked." I don't know what that means because "frozen pea" implies the whistle is not making a sound. As far as I am concerned, a whistle that works does not have a frozen pea.

A conventional pea whistle is, acoustically speaking, a vessel flute. The same as an ocarina, and obeys the same equations as an vessel flute. Even with the pea jammed in place, or removed altogether, it will generate a steady tone. I had a couple of de-pea'd (neutered?)whistles, and aside from having a lowered pitch, work as well as the unaltered models.

Just a though, but if any of the manufacturer's are listening, an open ended whistle, instead of the conventional close ended whistle, would make debris a lot less of a problem. Getting pocket lint out of the bottom of a small whistle is a pain in the rear. Blowing it out the end of a open ended tube, not so much.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane