Exactly. It appears we have adopted the same general strategy: EQs-bug in. Wildfires-bug out.

My house is directly in a mapped fault zone and if it should move, the dwelling may well be damaged or destroyed. If that happens, I would set up camp in the yard and get busy with getting back to normal. I have distributed tools, camp gear, etc. in such a manner that critical items should be available somewhere.

For a fire, we have a checklist of critical items - financial records, family photos, computers and the like to be loaded in the vehicles. In response to active fires on the nearby hillside, we have loaded up twice (in twenty years of occupancy), so we have the drill down fairly well. The brush is flourishing, so I expect another fairly soon.

The routine for fires around here is that the Red Cross sets up shelters which are sparsely utilized. Friends, relatives, and lodging establishments soak up the refugees, except for the large animal shelters which do get used.

IMHO, 72 hours is a pretty low, and highly optimistic standard. But if you have the basics for a 72 hour kit, you just need additional food and water to do well for much longer.