It's an SDR transceiver built into a case for an iPhone or Android phone. They have a picture of it using FRS.

FRS radios must be type-accepted for FRS and there are strict restrictions on the antenna, output power, and other parameters. I don't think that the FCC would grant type-acceptance for an FRS radio that could transmit outside the FRS/GMRS service.

I suspect the FCC would not grant an SDR transceiver a type-acceptance for use by non-amateurs, making it legally usable only within the amateur radio service. I imagine the manufacturer could have one radio onboard for FRS/GMRS use and another for amateur radio use. The iPhone has several radios in it (Bluetooth, cellular, GPS, WiFi) so it could be done with a case.

I would strongly urge US radio users to not purchase any radio product without knowing what FCC type acceptance it has.

The goTenna (no affiliation) is a Bluetooth device that can send text messages and location data over a typical (manufacturer claimed) 1-6 mile radius using the MURS service. This product is not, as far as I know, yet available in the wild but it seems a lot more likely to be approved by the FCC than an SDR for FRS.

Edited by chaosmagnet (03/07/15 09:57 PM)
Edit Reason: typos