Originally Posted By: wildman800
The only reason I would have to leave the boat would be in the event of an EMP.

You are the expert here and I know I am not, but I would also consider that you might have to leave the boat due to a sufficiently-serious mechanical failure, hole in the hull, or fire.

[/color] Damage or failures have other procedures in place to follow and rescue would be available.

In your shoes I would add a locking folder, a way to charge my phone, and some snacks to my EDC. A PLB would not be a bad idea either.

[color:#FF9900]
I have the SAK which locks, and heavy butcher knives, I doubt if a smart phone/cell system will work after an EMP. I would be taking snacks, food, & water with me. If they appear to work (less than 10" antennas), I would take a hand held VHF-FM Radio.

Do you have a route that does not go through the metropolitan area, in case that became important?

[color:#FF9900][/color] NOLA is surrounded by swamps and lakes with very limited routes in and out. The route I am looking at minimizes exposure to hostile areas. It also is the shortest distance to higher ground that allows greater directional options.