jsshannon, Thanks for that link. It is definitely better than the typical media reporting of these events.

As the article notes, the qualities (iron determination, and judicious risk taking) that make for a successful mountaineer and a successful business person can also sometimes be ones downfall. The line between a great adventure, and a life threatening disaster can sometimes be razor thin. Sometimes we can step over that line without even realizing it, until it is too late. And luck (good or bad) is always part of the equation.

Most of us who have spent a lot of time outside have probably come close to that line now and then. I've often though about one particular trip, in a small inflatable boat in coastal Alaskan waters. We made a series of decisions, all of which seemed quite reasonable at the time, and yet we got progressively into a more and more dangerous situation. If we had all died, I'm sure people would have said "what were those idiots thinking?" Yet at the time, it felt like we were doing the sensible thing.

Stories like this are one reason why I try not to get too judgmental when people get into trouble out of doors.