Originally Posted By: benjammin

I did acquire yet another take down bow. I found a really good deal on a Samick Phoenix 2 from Lancaster Archery (no affiliation). This is a higher end "custom made" as they advertise it takedown, with superior fit and finish to the ever popular Samick Sage. The limb attachment is different, and in my opinion superior. I haven't shot it yet, so I will have to take it to the range, tune it in, and see how it does. I practiced quite a bit while up on slope and was surprised that my precision began to degrade. I decided to reset my shot sequence by forsaking aiming at anything and just focusing on my technique. I found that I have been getting quite sloppy by shifting my focus from the process of performing each step up to and through the release and on to the result of where the arrow is hitting the target. It seems counter-intuitive, but technique is really the key to consistent, accurate archery, with aiming really only a small part of the whole process. Once I started deliberately checking each step in my process, my shot groups improved quite a bit. I need to spend the better part of another month focusing on technique and not just on aiming for the bull's eye. That should reprogram my bad habits out and consistency back in. Instinctive shooting is a lot more work than shooting with sights. But it is far more rewarding for me.

Instinctive is the only way to go for me as well. If you haven't read Fred Asbell's books I highly recommend it. His DVD is useful as well. Let me know what you think of the new bow. I've been shooting a Black Widow MAII for over 20 years now. I really enjoy making my own arrows and gear as well. Best of luck in your bear hunt. I would love to go hunting in Alaska one of these days...

G