I have ridden the metro north trains while traveling in NY for work. The trains have emergency exit windows. There are handles attached to removable rubber gaskets. You pull the handles down removing the gaskets and then the window pops out allowing you to escape. I hope to never have to try it because it is a good distance to jump out of the window to the ground even if you try to hang down before letting go.

The accident occurred in Valhalla NY.

The reports I've heard were that the driver stopped on the tracks because there was traffic ahead and the approaching train arm went down onto her car. She got out of the car to check for damage and then got back into the car and drove forward and was hit by the oncoming train.

Do I even need to say never stop on train tracks or try to beat an oncoming train or does this accident speak for itself?

For anyone who may be a new driver: if your car breaks down on the tracks and you need to get out and run away you should always run in the direction towards the train as the impact will push the vehicle further down the tracks and you can be injured while eacaping.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/02/03/m...on-harlem-line/