I'm sure that many of you read/ watched the reports of the Metro North train collision/derailment with a Jeep stopped in a crossing, inYonkers, NY. Six deaths, 5 passengers in the first train car and the Jeep driver who was reported to be outside of the vehicle. ( So, perhaps it was not " suicide by train".). At least 12 additional casualties.

The WNBC report I watched said the train filled with smoke and at least some passengers escaped by "breaking " the windows. I think those windows are polycarbonate. I will be interested in learning how the windows were breached, i.e.. by design thru an installed release mechanism or by actual physical breaking of the transparent panel?

Lesson to be gleaned from the story, in part: Do not sit in first or last car(s) of any train and if you must, then sit as far from the nose or rear end as possible. Additionally, learn the emergency exit releases, including the windows and location of emergency gear( if any) e.g. intercom, axe, first-aid-kit, flashlight.