Originally Posted By: Robert_McCall
For those who are unfamiliar with the active shooter problem, a key is to realize that most active shooters fold very quickly once they receive tactical pressure of even the mildest sort. Remember that these guys are typically emotionally crippled and poorly trained. They are relying on having a field of unarmed, panicking victims who won't resist.

Don't buy in to the seemingly reasonable thinking that one must be a heavily armed and impeccable marksman to survive clashing with the typical American active shooter. The record shows that more often than not, once the active shooter recognizes armed resistance he either barricades or kills himself.

Advocacy redacted.

Granted, the trained and dedicated types a la the killers at Charlie Hebdo or Mumbai are a distinctly different kettle of fish. However, with those crews if you're not victorious its a choice of dying on your knees or dying on your feet; they're not going to be merciful.

Most of that makes sense. By your definition of inadequate, I'm comfortable with saying I'm inadequate. Even if I were trained properly, I could not wish for a better scenario than a shooter who quickly offed himself.

By the way, does anybody here train to defend strangers? That's basically what would happen if a CCW got to this shooter before the domestic violence occurred. I mean, does your training include identifying a bad guy with limited information? How would you have been certain the shooter here was not actually law enforcement? Do you just make a best educated guess and go for it?

Personally, I would carry a CCW to defend myself and whoever is with me. If strangers happened to be protected by me protected myself, then that's great for them. There are just so many more moving parts that enter the system when a CCW holder ventures outside their personal circle and tries to protect strangers/others.

If I'm a CCW holder, a shooter is across the mall, and I'm near exit, then I will soon be on the other side of the exit.

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/23/15 06:21 AM)