Originally Posted By: Tom_L
I do think some of the notions expressed here are questionable. For one, there is a lot of difference between the simulated stress on a competition and the real thing. Etc. etc. It all gets pretty complicated when you have to deal with the actual, real life consequences of the infamous SHTF.

It's not clear to me where this opinion of yours comes from, but having trained under stress and having had to draw my pistol in public twice, I'm here to tell you that I don't agree.

Quote:
Given the situation described in the first post - man gunning down his wife and unknown male/possible friend. I kind of fail to see how an armed civilian would be able to do much good.

Without knowing the specifics of this incident (which nobody on this thread has offered to date) you really do not know. If there was even a second and a half between recognizance of the threat (viewing the weapon being drawn or hearing the first shot) and one or both of the victims being shot, it's quite possible that a civilian concealed carrier would have been able to save one or both victims.

Quote:
Just as likely a split-second shooting incident turns into a prolonged shootout with more fatalities.

As I've said before in this thread, that's not what actually happens in the USA, in the vast majority of the time that a civilian concealed carrier intervenes in a violent assault. Almost invariably when a civilian concealed carrier intervenes, lives are saved.

I'm basing my opinions on training and statistics. Where are yours coming from?

Quote:
Another situation referred to here - Charlie Hebdo. Two men rush an office room with about a dozen people inside, including a LEO specifically tasked with protecting them, probably a highly trained individual. We all know how that turned out.

Where did you get "highly trained individual" from? Have you ever gone shooting with cops? Gone to classes with them?

One of the unfortunate consequences of wearing a uniform is that bad guys will frequently target police officers first.

Frankly, we're talking ourselves in circles here. You've made up your mind based on whatever you've made it up on. I'll continue to carry, and train, and study the subject. You do what feels right to you.