Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Why do you say that , how did you reach that conclusion (your math)?

I can stay afloat for a long time if the water is warm enough, but swimming that far is really, really hard. The one triathlon I did was incredibly challenging and it was only a half-mile swim. I suspect that it's more than 18 times as hard.

The triathalon, its a race right?
And the half-mile swim was more like a half-mile sprint?
Water was cold and current was strong?

I think if you can run/finish a triathalon and you can float (half the battle) you can do a nine miles swim, provided you aren't going upstream smile and you aren't trying too hard.

I think your memory of the hard swim is messing with your confidence ... maybe your frestyle form is also messing with your confidence, do you experience shoulder pain?

Do you go swimming every week?
When I was in grade school, I used to do 40 laps in olympic size swimming pool a few times a week , thats a 1.2 miles
My form was good so no shoulder pain.
When I got tired I would float on my back , kick my feet, maybe flap my arms a little but mostly rest arms....

I went swimming again recently after many years break, and my freestyle is horrible, but I'm confident I could do 9 miles with the backstroke, its mostly just holding your breath a little (float), kicking frequently (like walking), and flapping my arms ... its easier to push water by your side than to reach out and grab it

So I think you could nine mile swim chaosmagnet smile

Here is an inspirational article about front crawl freestyle