Originally Posted By: acropolis5
As a result of this thread, I succumbed to a long held, but unsatisfied desire. I ordered a 90cm (~36") Black Diamnond, Raven ice ax, primarily for use as a hiking stick. It was delivered today. I'm waiting for the bottom pick cover, which shipped seperately. It was $80, with free shipping from Moosejaw.

I love it. Strong, very lightweight, cane length for me. I am a bit concerned about falling on the pick or adz. Anyone know where I can get a pick+ adz cover in leather or Codura? Anything other than the advertised day glow silicone cover. But I like the digging , chopping and hook-on capability.

I have a BD Raven too, but a much shorter one (they make 90cm ones?). It's one of more comfortable ones to hold as a walking stick, but not that great in more technical stuff. I have the BD protectors for all the sharp bits when i'm not actually holding it in my hands. (mounted on my pack, car, etc. I have somebody scratch my car paint by accident and even heard of somebody accidently poking one through the roof of a cabriolet while hitchhiking...)

If you are in a situation you want to chop or use the pick, you are probably standing on snow/ice and want the pick ready to be used when you start to slide.

You probably won't use the adz to often, so you could use the regular BD pick and adz cover, slip of the pick side and tighten the bungee. This atleast protects you from the adz.

I actually like the regular BD covers. Nice bright color and slightly sticky, so you won't loose them too quickly.