Originally Posted By: hikermor
Historically, ice axes were developed well before crampons and step-cutting was a well developed skill. Alpine climbers then (1890-1920s) universally wore nailed boots, which I understand, gripped pretty well on ice, especially at low angles...

With all due respect, I have no (ice) axe to grind one way or another... But the above is not correct.

Crampons have been around in Europe for at least 1500 years. The alpenstock has been documented at least as early as the late Middle Ages. The ice axe in the modern sense first appeared around 1850, becoming more popular toward the end of the 19th century.

A visit to any dedicated mountaineering museum within the Alpine region will confirm that. So will Wikipedia, even they got it right wink :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpenstock

Again, YMMV... I love ice axes, the alpenstock, crampons, good ole fashioned rucksack and hobnail boots for what they are. It's just that spending much of my time around the Alps I am somewhat keen to get the facts straight when it comes to our mountaineering traditions. smile