Originally Posted By: Tom_L

An ice axe is a different and much more modern tool, however. In the Alpine tradition it is always used together with crampons, which are considered *the* primary bit of kit for winter & glacier climbing.

YMMV. smile

Tom,

I understand what you are saying, but the ice axe has been around since the mid 1800's. A common use is that described by hikermor in a previous post -- "It is not for high angle technical climbs, but more for crossing snowfields -superlight (carbon fiber and titanium) and I would check to see if the longest available length (70 cm)is long enough. For the price, you might be able to order something longer" -- describing a superlight axe. They do not always go together (in some places they seldom go together). Often the reverse is true as well, crampons but no ice axe. It all depends on the situation.

I agree that it is not always the best tool for general use, particularly if you have a climbing axe (way too short) but it can be a useful adjunct in cases where it is unlikely to be needed for self arrest. It is one of the best available tools for removing frozen tent stakes while winter camping. smirk

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (01/07/15 03:20 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity