Originally Posted By: Lono
I believe that if you read on in Section 3 you will find broad (broad enough) exceptions to guide you through the firearm transfer process should you be an unlicensed dealer. There are for example exceptions for gift transfers to family members, antique firearms, and to minors for hunting, among others. Simple use of a buddy's firearm at a range or while hunting does not appear to be materially impeded. The law seeks to prevent transfers to felons. There are requirements and consequences if you transfer firearms to felons. To non-felons, not so much. When in doubt, the law provides for use of a licensed dealer to perform a background check before a transfer takes place. As with the US Constitution generally, consider reading the entire law in context.

Disclaimer: gun owner, NRA member who voted in Favor of I-594

Federal Lawsuit filed.

Here is part

"3. I-594 is also so vague that a person of ordinary intelligence cannot understand
its scope, which renders it subject to arbitrary enforcement. For example, it is unclear whether
I-594 applies in situations involving the following types of activity: family members’ common
use of a firearm stored in the family’s gun-safe, where no delivery takes place to another
person; employees’ common use of a firearm stored in a company’s gun-safe, where no
delivery takes place to another person; the intended delivery of a firearm to a common carrier,
such as FedEx, for the purposes of shipping; the intended delivery of a firearm to a storage
facility, such as a safety deposit box; the intended delivery of a firearm to airline personnel for
the purpose of checking the firearm to the passenger’s destination; exchanges of firearms at a
firing range when those firearms are not permanently kept at the range; the return of a firearm
from a law enforcement officer after an individual provides it for inspection during an
investigative stop; and the intended delivery of a firearm that is property of a trust from one
trustee of the trust to another. The agencies of the State of Washington have so far either
disclaimed the responsibility to interpret I-594 or provided interpretations that are so far
removed from the language as to be useless. "

http://www.thegunmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/NWSSvFergie.pdf