Originally Posted By: haertig
If the tax money you get is not enough, ask for more tax money.

I'm not in the US, but my in experience, asking for money as a government organisation never really result in more money.

Having a mayor incident and not adequate responce does seem to boost the budget for a short periode...

What I see is organisations just get told they get X percentage less budget next year and they have to make do. Ofcorse somehow still need to comply with rules and regulation.

And just go private is not really easy. Well actually it is in some cases, when the govenment start to use contracters and allow them to bid for the lowest prices. Still payed with tax money. Results varey widely.

For example; The US contractor airtanker fleet is a bit outdated to say the least...

Originally Posted By: haertig
Soon enough, I think the town will decide that the head of the fire department that come up with this plan is a bonehead, and will get rid of them. That's my prediction.

The fireservice cost money. If they don't get enough, they can't provide a (proper) service. Periode. You can 'get rid' of people, but that does not solve the underlying problem.

I heard of eastern european volenteer fire services who show up in the west to pick up a donated 20 year old fire engine and other old equipment and not having money to pay for the diesel to drive it back. Basically planning to beg for fuel on there way back, just like they do when they are back home...