Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The four things I don't seem to ever have enough of are knives, multitools, flashlights and firearms. I will thank you to not bring up my mental health status with regard to these items. I have no affiliation with any brand mentioned here other than as a customer.

Here are some of my favorite multitools, and what I like about them.

In the keyring category, it's the Leatherman PS4. It's surprising to me how well the small tools on it work, in particular the knife blade is extremely good for a multitool of this size and price. While I almost always have a full-size multitool nearby, I can keep this one with me all the time. And some tasks really do call for two pairs of pliers.

For a full-size multitool I carry a Leatherman Wave in my laptop bag. When I was a consultant I used this constantly in customer datacenters; I don't use it nearly as often now but I can't imagine doing without it. This is a pre-2004 Wave -- I like the profile of the pliers better for IT work, I don't need the larger knife blades (because I carry a locking folder), and I don't need the flexibility of the bit driver, since I carry a screwdriver with an assortment of bits.

For Extra Large sized, I go back and forth between the Leatherman Surge and Super Tool 300 (do you sense a pattern emerging?). The ST300 goes with me on CERT callouts, as I figure I'm more likely to get it wet and dirty and less likely to need a bit driver. The Surge is tougher to clean but it's more flexible as to what it can do.

What are your favorites?

I'm with you on the original Wave. My original has went back to my EDC and my new wave is in a toolkit. The original was just more useful day to day. I think Leatherman would make some sales if they would start making it again as a "Wave Classic" or something.