Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It may be better but with respects to Rolex I could buy a hundred G-shocks and just throw them away every six weeks and still be ahead money wise!

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Rolex etal have been overtaken by technology. If I need the official, precise time (as in opening or closing a polling place) I need look no further than the nearest cellphone or GPS. For convenience I still wear a venerable Casio which needs a battery about every two or three years.It's accuracy approaches chronometer grade, but I no longer use a sextant for navigation....

A Rolex is a very expensive peice of jewelry that happens to incorporate a clock. A Rolex is fine if you wish to make a fashion statement. As a survival item, I see no practical advantage of a Rolex over an ordinary digital watch that costs a tiny fraction.

In some situations, wearing a Rolex could have negative value for survival. Wearing a Rolex says "I have money" and/or "I am important". If you were a bad guy looking for a target to rob or kidnap, who would you select? The guy wearing the Timex watch? ..... Or the guy wearing the Rolex?