Rolex are great watches. But you don't only get the name when you buy one. Servicing is crucial for any timepiece. Rolex replaces all the gaskets when it gets serviced. Being "oyster perpetual", which refers to the case being water resistant,and the perpetual means an automatic movement, that baby will keep great time for years and years and years. Lets see a cheap G-Shock do that. True, when the battery goes you can a replacement. No watch is ever waterproof, and any watch marketed as such, you should steer well clear of. Patek make luxury watches, not "tool" watches. Give me an auto diver any day, but then again I already have about ten auto divers. No Rolex's, but then I really don't want one.
Izzy, look at reluming the dial and hands with Superluminova, but contact a very reputable Rolex dealer so you keep the value of the watch intact. The dealer will send it back directly to Rolex for the work to be done. They should also service it, again to maintain the waterproofness, and it may need to be regulated again.