Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

yup, fire cord has a clear edge
what would have been interesting to me,
is squeeze the tinder-quik and spark it immediately
is squeeze the tinder-quik and wait one minute and spark it
but naturally a more thorough examination might not be in the sellers interest smile

I haven't tried the seller's "fire cord" but I've had mediocre to mixed results with my own home-made version of the same. From the seller/inventor's website it's simply jute cord impregnated with wax. Perhaps he's found a novel way to coat the jute but in my versions it didn't work all that well. Too much wax and you wind up with a solid mass that's hard to frizz up. Too little and it's not very waterproof. The devil is in the details and the quantity of wax must just right IME. Again, maybe some of you folks and the inventor have a found a better way to make them than I have. But I gave up on the format.

I don't really have a dog in the fight. Everyone should use whatever they feel is best. But I can interject a few observations that are subjective facts, not preference or opinion. One is that wax isn't hygroscopic but jute cord is, very much so. Two, ESBIT is totally non-hygroscopic. You can soak it in water probably indefinitely and it will still burn. Perhaps I will see how long I can soak the stuff. Would it dissolve after a few months or years? I don't think so but perhaps I'll try it to see.

I really love the Tinder-Quik myself. A tab is much smaller than nearly any other tinder I've found. It's water resistant but not totally waterproof. IMOHO though it's irrelevant to my purposes. Why would you not simply keep your tinder material dry? I understand that your canoe can capsize, accidents happen, etc. But even something pretty low tech like a ziplock baggie will protect your tinder. And the higher tech stuff like the mylar bags that I seal using a chamber vacuum machine will survive things that a human won't.

If you're relying on natural tinder then there's some luck involved but if you're carrying your own tinder, why not carry dry tinder to begin with instead of worrying about stuff that will work wet? confused wink