Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I dunno, he shook them both about the same and fluffed the TinderQuick about the same as the guy in the other video you posted. I suppose the TinderQuick would have done better had it been fluffed, dried for 5 minutes in the sun, and peppered with napalm but if you have to babysit a piece of tinder, maybe it's not the best choice for the job. Perhaps the fact that the TinderQuick acts like a sponge is not a good feature to have.

The TinderQuick in the other video definitely did better though.

In my testing a single TinderQuick tab burns for less time and with less intensity than a PJ ball made from a standard sized cotton ball...

That is funny Glock-A-Roo smile

Its not just a dunk in the video , he squeezes the tinderquik underwater , why doesn't he squeeze it above water? You know, to get the water out?
In the kitchen I've never tried to shake a sponge dry, or a towel for that matter, I've always squeezed both to get the water out , and squeezed more than once.

Hmm, firecord, two shakes and its dry enough. Hmm tinder quik, two squeezes and ... is one better than the other? Maybe , depends on your criteria. Is this difference important? Probably not smile

However to be fair, I think there is significantly more material (both cotton and wax/PJ) in the PJ ball, as its easily 2-3 times the size of the TinderQuick. When faced with having to use damp materials, I'd reach for the PJ ball first.

A lot of tinder sellers don't list weights :)(or btu values )

this review says each tinder quik fire tab is 0.024 oz ea or 0.7 g

This means about ~26 BTU (waxpaper) to ~31 BTU max (solid wax)
Firecord would be the same

I'm glad you posted the Zombie Tinder, I'd not seen that before. Watching their videos, I think I'd actually prefer a PJ ball.

I'd prefer pj balls too, but I like honest charts smile poisonous? some chemical unknown, so score 4

They actually sell "Jellied Ginned Cotton Tin" $6.95 for a 4oz tin, their version of PJ balls

For same price at a dollar store I can make four such tins in about four minutes smile

A lot of products that make cents for survival kits don't quite make it for camping kits ... hmm, firecord shoelaces? "Tensilary" strength probably isn't there smile