Originally Posted By: yee
Originally Posted By: TonyE

The fiador IS designed for a specific use that other knots can not accomplish. But it serves other uses as well.

But what are these other uses? I can't think of anything OTHER than on a horse. Any other application, simpler knots suffice.
KISS.

I am reluctant to add the fiador to my bag of tricks until I can think of such a use. For instance, I commonly use the zeppelin Bend over the sheetbend even though it is more difficult to tie because

1. It is stronger then the sheetbend
2. It doesn't bind even after stress is applied.

What does the fiador bring to the table that the bowline on a bight with an additional sheetbend doesn't? Except for equine applications, the fiador is listed as a decorative knot only.

I like using a "decorative knot" in a practical applicatin. The advanage of the MWK style fiador (as opposed to the normaal diamond knot fiador) is that it DOES bind. The loops stay locked in place and because of the MWK strands constriction properties.
I have snown the uses for the MWK fiador in my original post. Why not use a decorative knot that holds tighter than a simpler knot. It is really not that difficult to tie. And you can trim the ends close to the knot. Cheers. Tony

Edited by TonyE (11/25/14 12:40 AM)