Good Information, but one thing I found disturbing was you being told that it is not worth filing a (police) report. First, it sounds like the police officer was being lazy, but putting the best face on it, maybe he just meant that there was zero chance of the guy getting caught and of getting your stuff back. In that regard, he was probably correct.

But making a police report can be vitally important for other reasons. Suppose (like some people do) you had a blank check in your wallet, and with all the other id etc., the bad guy was able to cash the check and get clean out your checking account. You go to the bank and tell them it was fraud, etc, etc. They ask you: Did you file a police report? Respond yes, and they replace your money and take the loss. Respond no, and they say, sorry, there is nothing we can do for you. (This is the actual policy of several banks where I live.)

Likewise, if you had to make a claim with your insurance company, they may also ask if you filed a police report, with similar results as the Bank scenario above.

I don't think these policies are unique to my local area. I would have thought the police officer would know that you might need to make a formal report for the above reasons, and at least mentioned it to you.

My advice is to always file a police report and get whatever documentation of it that you can. You really want to be able to answer "yes, and here is a copy." It is the job of the police to take the report, even if they don't think anything will happen and that the bad guy will never be caught.

But I'm glad that all worked out well.