Last week, I started seeing the first articles saying that the outbreak seemed to be slowing in Liberia. That surprised me since Liberia seemed to be where the disease was raging the most, and Liberia seemed the most disorganized in its response.

Thinking it was some sort of problem with data collection, I waited, but now even MSF is confirming that the pace of infection has slowed, so it appears to be a legitimate slowdown.

I posted before about how simply observing empty beds in Ebola treatment units can be misleading because there are many Africans who are scared of going to the ETU's, and that theme is repeated in this new article, but the fact that MSF also reports that the number of burials also seems to be down has convinced me that there is really a slowdown.

However, whether that's a temporarly lull or whether the peak of this outbreak in Liberia is passed is still anyone's guess. Guinea has already gone through a couple of lulls, only to have the disease roar back. The situation is still bad in Sierra Leone, too.