Here's a couple accounts on the value of backup navigation gear.

- I was running an orienteering course that had a remote start. You signed out from the main registration table then walked about 1 mile to a remote start point that had the electronic timing system start/finish. Before starting from the remote point, I needed to take off my wind shell so without thinking I laid down my map and thumb compass amongst the thick layer of fallen leaves. It's just for a couple of seconds, right? I stowed the jacket, retrieved my map... and could not find the compass. I spent over 10 minutes looking for it and it could not have been more than a couple feet from me, but it was gone forever in those leaves. Luckily I always bring a spare compass, so I soldiered on with it. Lesson learned.

- Today I read in this trip report (sorry, it's behind a paywall) about a team set to trek in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. They had a good, detailed map but:

Originally Posted By: article
The Spotted Bear River was a "bear" to cross, the water was way over my knees and the bottom was slippery. We crossed as a team with one moving while the other stood still as an anchor...

When we got out I realized our nice $11.99 Cairn Trail Map, complete with trail notes written all over it, had washed out of my cargo pocket. It looked like my little act of carelessness was going to seriously mess with our trip. Fortunately Morgan didn't strangle me, possibly because I was carrying the bear spray or possibly because I was the one driving him back to the airport later... I began considering a 75 mile wilderness trek with no map and a deadline to get Morgan back to the airport in five days (and a limited supply of Oreos). Morgan saved the day (sort of) when he said he had a FS map of the area. It wasn't much of a map really, it showed the big rivers and trails and that was about it, no contour lines or anything detailed. Well we figured as long as we stayed on the trails we'd be okay.

They managed to complete their trip but suffered mightily by not being able to plan for the topography to come. The simple forest service map was just enough to get by.

I always trek with a spare map, but the usual application for it is as a gift to those I come across who have a poor map, or sometimes no map at all.