I prefer to use paracord bracelets that serve multiple functions and they're an important element of my 1st-line gear loadout. In urban contexts I use an ankle bracelet that has tools appropriate to that environment. In a wilderness context here's what I'm using now.

- I made this quick-deploy bracelet correctly on the first try in about 10 minutes. It unfurls in seconds with no hassle. There are multiple variations on this weave, just check YouTube.

- 550 cord (type III) can be unnecessarily bulky. I made my bracelet with slimmer mil-spec type II cord. You can also use commercial 4-strand cord that's even slimmer and comes in many colors. Try different quick-deploy weaves to get the bracelet thickness you prefer. Narrow cord allows you to use a smaller buckle size for even less overall bulk.

- I integrated this little ferro rod and this magnesium rod into the bracelet, along with waterproof jute cord and a section of correspondingly sized bicycle inner tube which gives me two types independent waterproof tinder that don't need an open flame to light. If conditions are really wet then once the magnesium and/or jute is lit, burn a piece of the inner tube. I slipped a 1-1/4" long piece of a hacksaw blade under the inner tube as a ferro striker/scraper. A simple washer works too as long as it has a clean 90 degree edge that isn't rounded off. I've tested all these components together and they work great.

- The whistle on these 1/2" contoured buckles is surprisingly effective, beats yelling yourself hoarse any day, and there's no downside to having it. If you desire a breakaway type buckle those are available too.

My bracelet gives me reliable firestarters, extra cordage, and a decent whistle in a slim package that almost can't be lost or left in camp.