I liked the idea of a radio for my GHB that would run on a single AA battery so I dropped by the local Fry's and found the Sony SRF-59 AM/FM Radio which is the non-prison version. The radio works fine with a strong AM station in local, but not-so-much for any FM station I could find in "Local" mode. Switching to DX mode the FM was pretty good for a very simple radio. I see no reason to use local unless you are simply too close to the transmitter. The instructions recommend a 1.5V alkaline but I tested it with a NiMH rechargeable battery and it worked fine. The headset that came in the plastic package used up too much real estate for my GHB so I replaced it with Sony lightweight earbuds.

That said, I still prefer the audio from my 2xAA Sony ICF-S10Mk2. It has a real antenna rather than using the headset cord for FM, but you still need a headset to get stereo cuz it only has one speaker. Still for a radio to use while walking, one that uses the headset cord may be preferable since the telescoping antenna doesn't work well in your pocket. Tradeoffs.