With news that both Texas nurses, Pham and Vinson, will be treated at the biocontainment ward at Emory University, it seems like EMU is the place to be if you have Ebola.

Yesterday, there was finally a press release regarding the third mystery patient at Emory, a WHO doctor who contracted Ebola in Sierra Leone, and who is recovering. So, with Dr Kent Brantly, Nancy Writebol, and this third patient, Emory is 3 for 3. I would want to go there if I had Ebola.

I sense that there has been a shift in policy now. Before, the CDC's Dr Frieden said any US hospital should be able to safely treat an Ebola patient, but we've just seen in Madrid and Dallas that reality does not always live up to theory.

I'm curious to see if future Ebola patients are also transported to one the national biocontainment wards, which would confirm a shift in policy. There is some additional risk of contamination in transport, but the cumulative risk to healthcare workers treating someone over time seems to be worth the risk based on experience so far.

Edit: And in testimony before Congress this morning, a top official from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital says there was no hands-on training for the staff for Ebola before Mr Duncan came to their hospital.

So, all the more reason to transport Ebola patients to facilities that have specifically drilled for just such a situation for years.

Edited by Arney (10/16/14 06:04 PM)
Edit Reason: Added info