I am a huge knife nut and hoarder.In your area(Pacific NW)I would go with a stainless blade.This is purely for convenience.A plastic sheath is the other thing.I like the MORA Bushcraft series.The Bushcraft Black is a corbon steel blade with a micro coating for corrosion resistance.It has an 1/8 inch thick blade that can take a lot of abuse.This is also MORA's survival knife that they also make in stainless.The Bushcraft Force is stainless and a thinner blade.It is a really good slicer that can take some abuse.I have other bigger and more expensive knives (like a Randall camp and trailknife)but always bring a MORA along.I have even sliced down small trees ( 2"to 3.5") with one. Mora's are a great balance in economy, function, durability and edge retention.You don't get the heaviness on the belt either.I was using Mora's so i wouldn't mess up my nicer knives.Why should I carry nicwer knives if I'm afraid of messing them up.For the cost and weight buy and carry two. One on you one in the pack.....

BOATMAN
John