Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: yee
Backup EDC is my Leatherman. Unfortunately, I have not figured out a way to keep a lanyard on the Leatherman.

my leatherman squirt and older model wave plus my sog multitool all have some type of a 'ring' on them - alongside the other tools - to which i have then attached a small split ring. can then tie paracord or ??? or attach a small gate-type clip and then paracord or ??? for detaching when needed. none have ever failed.

I know about the ring. The problem is that the ring is pretty much useless. It is inside one of the tools. When extended, the tool doesn't fit in the sheath. Thus, I can't keep the lanyard attached to the tool unobtrusively when the tool is in the sheath.

The sequence would have to be:
1. remove tool
2. extend ring
3. remove and attach lanyard
4. use tool
5. detach lanyard and put away
6. retract ring
7. sheath tool.

This is NOT a sequence that works in the real world (for me). One of my old Leathermans (?PST, ?Supertool) had an EXTERNAL hole attached to the tool hinge that I could attach a thin string lanyard which was marginally useful.

===

My pocketknife is permanently lanyarded. The knife is in hip pocket with the lanyard looped around the Leatherman sheath.

The sequence is.
1. put lanyard on
2. pull out knife
3. open knife
4. use knife
5. close knife
6. put knife in pocket
7. loop lanyard around Leatherman sheath.
There are very few EXTRA time-consuming steps in using a lanyard.