Originally Posted By: bws48
Some chose to run to the forest to survive; some stayed in the Ghetto. People living in a "civilized" city suddenly are faced with stark survival choices.

Both groups faced stark survival choices. The answer to the question of who was right is only apparent in retrospect as almost all who decided to stay, died. At the time, the recommendations from LOCAL Jewish leaders as well as the CENTRAL government was to stay.

It would appear that only the massively irresponsible ran. They risked their own lives as well as the lives of their families and their community. Some who ran survived.

Only SOME of those who ran and survived wrote about it. I am uncertain as to the actual numbers who tried to run but died in the forest.

Originally Posted By: bsw48

The documentary traces what happened to both groups, those who stayed and those who ran and fought; the problems they faced and conflicts they had.

IMO, it is about as close an analogy to how we live today as I can find (the Bielskies were a very rural based group), and the choices we might have to make, and problems we might face if all goes wrong.

Hard to find, but I highly recommend it.

In terms of rural/city, even the city folks were not living in major metropolis' like NYC, Paris, LA. Most "cities" were more akin to towns and much more accessible to the rural areas by other-than-motorized transportation.

I have tried to find this documentary without success.